Chung King Mansions on Nathan Road
Despite the name “mansions” this very ordinary tower block of mixed commercial shop spaces and residential flats is in fact very down market indeed.
It has become famous, or perhaps the word infamous would be a better description, as a centre of low budget, low profile, accommodation for the traveller. “Guesthouses” made up of a few converted flats tower above cheap-eats and various businesses of perhaps questionable reliability.
There was a time, in the 70′s and 80′s, when no traveller to Hong Kong seemed to miss staying here, or at least making use of some of its dubious facilities. But following some health and safety scares in the 90′s it was mostly “cleaned up”.
Today it is a good place to find low cost Indian and African foods and clothes. But it would only be a last resort for accommodation.
Here is a short list of restaurants in the building so you have some ideas what is there:
- Wakas Mess - B5, 4/F Chung King Mansions, serves Indian curry
- P.M. Club - Block C-2, 4/F Chung King Mansions, Indian curry
- Smrat Pure Vegetarian Restaurant - B5, Block B, 5/F Chung King Mansions - specialize in Indian vegetarian curry
- Bismillah Kebab House - Shop 75, 1/F Chung King Mansions - serves Middle Eastern and bbq food
- Pakistan Mess - Shop C2, Block C, 4/F Chung King Mansions
If you need affordable halal meals, then it is a must-visit, but otherwise it's not worth making a detour.